Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Memorial Day... a day to be stuck in traffic

So, as promised, I went back to Austin this weekend to attempt to get some of my stuff together. Man, do I have a lot of crap. I got there Friday and promptly went to see X-Men 3, which was pretty good. Seeing as I went opening night, I didn't know about the super-secret extra scene, and frankly, I wanted to get out of the claustrophobic theater ASAP. Did you know the Gateway Cinema doesn't have stadium seating? How are they still in business? I guess it's been a while since I've gone to see one of the big summer movies on opening night... the lines, the nerds in costume... I don't think it's quite for me.

Saturday I went to San Antonio to check out the apartment I'm subletting for the summer. It's decent, right in the middle of the medical district. Acceptable for two months. Apparently there's a little bit of crime in the area, but hey, at least I'm right next to a bunch of hospitals! I'll just walk to the emergency room, save me the ambulance fee. Also, it's right near a pool hall called "Nice Rack". BONG.


That night, I went back to Austin and met up with Miguel, his brother, and a bunch of his brother's friends at Shakespeare's downtown. I also ran into two girls from high school there, which was okay, I guess, but I still get weirded out because man, if I don't see you for four years, you pretty much stop existing in my book. After Shakespeare's, Miguel and I got brats from the Best Wurst stand on 6th street. That's like an institution. And we made friends with the girl behind us who kept pushing us becuase "You can't let those people cut in line!!!" What people? Who knows.

Sunday was lazing, followed by the best drive ever in stop and go traffic on 290 on Monday on the way home. Laurie got a "day off" for Memorial Day, so they let her use her cell phone in basic training, and she called and we got to talk for about an hour, which was super great. Apparently she loves it, and is labeled an "expert" in grenades and "sharpshooter" in M-16s. Hear that, people? My best friend can kill you with her bare hands... don't mess.

No comments: