Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Fall TV preview

I enjoy TV way too much. Probably more than is healthy for any individual. And this year, with my no-band schedule and my own TV with basic cable I have... well, not copious amounts of time, but certainly the opportunity to keep up with all my favorite shows and even aquire some new faves. Here are my picks for a great fall season:

  1. How I Met Your Mother (Mondays, CBS) - Started out kind of weak, but after a few episodes, I've really gotten into this show. I feel like it pretty much articulates what a lot of my friends and I are going through - this weird mid-twenties phase where you're not quite a grown-up but out of your parents' shadow. The characters are relatable, and my favorite is Barney, played by Neil Patrick Harris of Doogie Howser fame (or Harold and Kumar fame). One of my favorite lines is after he says something and then when the others look at him confused, he says "You really don't read my blog, do you?" Also, when they're in a club, Ted the main character starts screaming crazy stuff to see if his date can hear him, and during a lull in the songs screams out, "I'm peeing my pants!" If that doesn't describe what my friends and I say every single day (see, Goat's blog), then I don't know what does.
  2. Nip/Tuck (Tuesdays, F/X) - Holy crap. One of the raciest and most addicting shows I have ever seen. The story lines are so intricate and crazy plot twists abound. For example, this Tuesday the cops thought that Christian was the Carver and arrested him, only to have the Carver strike while he was in jail. Every show ending is a complete poop-in-the-pants twist. I love it.
  3. My Name is Earl (Tuesdays, NBC) - Jason Lee, of Kevin Smith movie fame, finally has his own show where he plays... a redneck? A little contrary to every cool character he's ever played, but still quite funny. Not much to it, but it's a definite laugh and it makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside, like that time I ate insulation.
  4. Arrested Development (Mondays, Fox) - Currently on hiatus until baseball season ends, Arrested Development is one of the most perfectly written shows ever. With Season 2 just recently released and Season 3 gearing up, it's sure to be a great season. If Fox doesn't keep threatening to cancel it.
  5. Law and Order: SVU (Tuesdays, NBC) - Oh no, Elliot's rage problem is out of control. And Olivia feels even more for the victims of rape. Tune in to see Elliot flip out and Olivia cry even more.
Welp, that's it for now. If you watch any less than 8 hours of TV a day, this is a good start. I, however, pretty much have my TV on constantly. I really do have friends, I swear....

No comments: