Friday, September 30, 2005

Let the drinking commence!

It's Friday and there have been an extraordinary amount of alcohol-related events this week, so I thought I'd give you guys a little update.

Tuesday night the Chicano-Hispanic Law Student Association had a mixer with the Hispanic Bar Association. Part of something that CHLSA does is set up law students (I think mostly first years) with lawyers to "mentor", whatever that means. I met my mentor there, and he seems like a really cool guy. His name is Jesus and I believe he is a partner in an oil and gas firm. I think what we're going to do is to have me follow him around some day and go to discovery or a depostition to see what it's like. It's unclear what we're actually supposed to be doing with each other, other than drinking at mixers. I also met this really fun, sweet woman named Gloria, who gave me her business card and said to let her know if I needed anything.

Thursday night, we had an event with the Women's Law Caucus called Wine About Law School. It was held at this bar called Speakeasy in the Warehouse District, which is as trendy and tries as hard to be cool as it sounds. The bar itself was very cool, and there were some women lawyers there. I ran into Gloria there too, and we started talking about law school, etc. and she gave me the advice to just have a good time my first year and not get too caught up in a relationship when I really should be meeting people. At some point during this conversation, she said "You know, you really just need to fuck around, have a good time. I did, and I wish I had done it more." I tried to keep a very straight face, but I don't know how well it came off. A short while later, I excused myself in slight disbelief and got another drink... because I needed it.

Later on that night was Bar Review #2 for the year, held at Six, on 4th street (I believe). It was a pretty good time, and I may or may not have called Nips at 2:30 in the morning to tell him that nobody cares about Minnesota football. Only his voicemail holds the answer.

Also, I was called on today in Criminal Law. It figures that the time that I only read the case once and on the bus on the way home and show up practically hungover that I get called on. Other than a few technicalities, I got most of it right though, it wasn't too horrible of an experience. But right as I got called on, both Bryce and Philip started IM'ing me. In my panic, I couldn't respond and was afraid that somehow the prof would know that I had little IM windows on my screen and punish me for that too.

As for this weekend, I think I just need to sleep. And I got Crash on DVD today, so I will probably watch that at some point - and all of you should too. And then go hug a black person. And a person of every race in the world.

1 comment:

Greg - Cowboy in the Jungle said...

Drinking! Always a good idea.

I'd rather have a bottle infront of me than a frontal labotomy!