Thursday, September 15, 2005

Law school = high school

I've found a lot of similarities between high school and this institution of higher learning that supposedly is preparing us to be the leaders of the free world. According to all the orientation seminars, we'll basically be running the country in three short years.

Anyway, one of the main similarities to high school is the reintroduction of lockers. Now don't get me wrong, without my locker I would be carrying a combined 50 lbs of books every day back and forth from here and home, but it definitely makes you feel like you're back in the good old days of hanging out by the lockers and figuring out which locker your crush has and just happening to hang out near it because your friend Sheila's locker is there. For someone who is supposed to be intellectually superior than the rest of you puny minds out there (or so we were told at orientation), I had the hardest time with my combination lock. Not only are the lockers a little condescending, I also bring my lunch every day. In a lunchbox! Right now our cafeteria/lounge is being remodeled, so it's either that or spend way too much on some stale sandwich from a poser coffee shop on the corner near the law school. Needless to say, I feel super cool carrying my big red lunchbox around campus.

Secondly, I take the bus to school. If that doesn't drudge up bad memories of people demanding that the bus driver put the radio on the hip-hop station and random knife-fights, I don't know what does.

Finally, the cliques here are probably even worse than in high school. Except in high school, your clique was based on a) how cool you were or b) what activities you were in. Here, it's just based on what section you happened to be placed in. I met a girl here in April over Prospective Students' Weekend, and we wanted to meet up sometime. After 3 weeks here, I finally ran into her on Wednesday. If you're not in the same classes as someone, you literally never see them.

There are some major exceptions, of course. For example, right now, I'm heading to my Contracts professor's house for a keg party. Drinking before 5pm with a professor? I like it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You should totally post a picture of the red lunchbox... For verification purposes.