Tuesday, January 04, 2005

New Year, New You!

If there's one slogan I've seen in the many, many hours of TV I've been watching it's "New Year, New You!" As if, "Oh, the calendar has changed? Well, time for a complete lifestyle overhaul!" I know every year the gym, diet, beauty companies etc. use this slogan to try and get people who are so desperate to make themselves over in the new year to buy their overly priced and completely useless products. But for some reason, perhaps because I'm watching a lot more TV over this break, perhaps because there are that many more products out there, the rush for a new you seems bigger this year than ever. For example, 24-Hour Fitness has a commercial where they discuss how our cells regenerate and some die, so, on a cellular level, we are actually reinventing ourselves, so why can't we do it at the gym? My body is constantly reinventing itself! I want to be a punk rocker now! What's that you say, my cells have regenerated again? OK, now I'm a cowboy! Hmm, not quite the same thing, I don't think.

In other news, today is the Orange Bowl. Wait, scratch that. The FedEx Orange Bowl. Pardon me. Needless to say, there's been a lot of buzz about this game, some thinking that other teams deserved to go, some just wanting to blow it all up so neither team can win (I'm thinking of Texan Domers... ahem), but I guess we'll just have to see whether Matt Leinart really deserved that Heisman tonight.

1 comment:

phil said...

Don't watch the Orange Bowl. I can read the future. It won't be pretty.

But don't worry Leinhart still doesn't deserve the Heisman. My only hope is that he'll run for the NFL instead of staying at hellhole another year.

My New Year's Resolution: Gain pounds without losing pounds.