Tuesday, January 11, 2005

Beginning of the end

Today was the last first day of class I'll have in undergrad... yes a very small distinction, but a landmark nonetheless. I've struck the scheduling goldmine this semester. Tuesday and Thursday begins at 12:30 with my last senior seminar - Religion and Politics of South Africa. This is going to be waaay different than DPK's Religion and Constitution class. Instead of assigned readings and thorough discussions, we have a list of readings that we should use in our 10 page paper due at spring break. And he's basically going to lecture for a month, then let us off into the wild to write our own research paper after that. Walshe is an extremely intelligent man, plus the British accent is awesome! I mean, the title for our first paper is, and I quote:
"Religion and Politics in South Africa: A Comparative Study of Afrikaner Nationalism and the Anti-Apartheid Liberation Movement"
Don't worry, it's not as complicated as it sounds... oh wait, yes it is. Especially since I know zero about South Africa and I guess Walshe assumes we know some basic fundamentals about it, such as the capital or what language they speak. Yeah, no clue. I'm ignorant.

After that, there was the first day of Acting: Process. After about fifteen minutes with no one showing up, the class elected me to go find Jay, since apparantly I'm the only one he knows. He gave an impromptu speech for about 15 minutes on acting in general, throwing in humor and curse words in the appropriate places to get a laugh out of us. Turns out our good man Anton Juan is supposedly on his way into the country and should be in class in Thursday. Ha. Ha ha. Let's hope so. He's arriving one day before auditions for our play. Maybe on the day of auditions. Christ, I hope this isn't a sign of how Laramie Project is going to be all the way through.

And for today's Arrested Development quote of the day:
Buster: We're having unlimited juice? Man, this party is gonna be off the hook!
[later, after drinking two buckets of corn syrup aka "juice"]
Buster: I love JUICE!!

1 comment:

E. Luther said...

You're an Arrested Development fan? You and MicVat should definitely get together, then . . . to . . . talk about arrested development. I've only seen one or two episodes, but I liked 'em. Though, I suppose, nothing can quite beat the comic stylings of MXC.