Wednesday, July 05, 2006

The tonsils did not kill me

Well, I know I promised I would update on my tonsil status, preferably from an altered state, but sometimes things just don't go the way you planned. Also, I'm a dirty liar. Anyway, Mal updated saying I wasn't dead afterward, which is true. Man, I felt great right after my surgery. That whole first day was pretty awesome. I watched TV all day, text messaged like a fiend, and had a couple of milkshakes. The thing about the second and third days, though, is that is when the anesthesia really starts to wear off. Sure, I had narcotics, but those didn't really last the entire time I supposedly had to wait between doses. That whole first week or so ended up being pretty painful. I even went back to the doctor's about a week after because it was still pretty bad and I was quickly running out of pain meds. Who knew they kept narcotics so hard to get? After that 8th day, though, I turned the corner and had mac and cheese. Were you aware that Chili's serves Kraft mac and cheese and charges $3.99 for it? My server was kind enough to point that out to me. I'm currently almost-recovered and can eat pretty much anything as long as it's not chips or peanuts or anything that might tear my throat open. Which is good, because I was getting reaaaaal sick of Jello and milkshakes. Ice cream sucks when you can only have two kinds - vanilla and chocolate. No strawberry, it may have chunks in it! No fun stuff with anything mixed in, stupid, you might cause major bleeding. Oh well, thank God that's over.

In other news, my apartment in Austin is packed up and waiting in storage for my other apartment to open up. I thank the Craigslist gods that I was able to sell all the furniture that would not fit into my new place.

4th of July was all right, but it was raining all day. That's been the trend these past few days, and there doesn't seem to be any end to the rain in sight. I guess it sucks, but the other option is 100+ degree heat, so I'm not sure what's worse. Philip invited me along to his grandparents' country club for their usual 4th of July festivities, and we went, but it was pretty much eat and leave, as the fireworks were postponed until September 15. Why until September 15? No one knows. Earlier that day, we went and visited my friend Laurie, who left last night for Seoul. She's going to be stationed in South Korea for a year. Well that's one patriotic way to celebrate the fourth of July. I prefer watching several hours of soccer, what's more American than that? Come on, making fun of Italians is 100% American.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Were you aware that Chili's serves Kraft mac and cheese and charges $3.99 for it?"

No way!

Anonymous said...

I found your blog via Wings and Vodka, which had been linking over to my own. Anyway, had to leave you a comment: I went to UT-Austin undergrad and headed to Notre Dame for law school. Heh...

Nice work on the blog.

Best,
Peter
Burnt Orange Nation
www.burntorangenation.com
burntorangenation@gmail.com

Anonymous said...

congrats on getting rid of those icky tonsils :)

hope you're havin a good summer not being a 1L anymore.

Goat said...

I found your blog via my own, which apparently was linking to it. Who knew?! Anyway, has to leave a comment: I went to ND for undergrad and Purdue for grad school. Heh...

Post more.

Blah blah blah,
Goat
http://ndgoat.blogspot.com

(No offense, Peter. My sense of humor is unimaginative so I have to mock people I don't know.)

(Lizett - glad to hear the tonsil thing went well!)