Tuesday, March 21, 2006

I'm rich, beeyotch

So, Mike has been following the issue of salary increases in big firms very closely. Basically, Vinson and Elkins raised their minimum first-year associate salary, and all the big Texas firms are following suit. What does the increase in base salary from Baker Botts mean? Does it mean less of a chance of income growth per year? Are you going to sign up for a firm and get stuck with their lousy $130,000 a year salary for five years?

I suppose a mega-genius like Mike, who is probably set with his huge firm, has to worry about these things. Law Review editor, general lyric genius. You have the luxury of deciding which mega-firm with mega-salaries to choose from, and what this pay raise means for salaries for years to come.

Me, I'm hoping I get a job at all. A non-paying public interest job, bitches! Take your base salary and shove it.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I want you to save this particular entry and read it once a year starting the year after graduation and see if you still feel the same way. Those law loans add up pretty quickly.

Anonymous said...

I hope I can get into a law school. My GPA has been skydiving ever since like soph year :P

Anonymous said...

Baker Botts sounds like a group of robots who make cupcakes.

Lizett! said...

Haha that is a very literal meaning of their name, and probably not that far off, actually :-)