Monday, January 30, 2006

Books and shit

Well, that last one backfired. And I look like a 12-year-old girl. In order to counteract that, I am going to talk about the books I've read so far this year. Make me look all smart and shit. I'm going to try and read more for fun, despite the mountains of reading I'm supposed to be doing for law school. I'm not going to lie, sometimes my fun reading gets precedent over my school reading. While I was in Houston over break, the bookstore in the mall was closing so every book was 50% off - I cashed in baby! So, here we go, my reviews for the books I've read so far. (Warning: the list is short. It's only been a month!)

  • Dreams From My Father, by Barack Obama. A pretty good memoir about his childhood. I sort of expected more of his later years, heading towards the Senate, but his childhood story and discovering his past is pretty cool. He's a great writer (I mean, he was President of Harvard Law Review, so I guess that makes him a pretty good writer). For a story about race, it concentrates almost exclusively on African Americans in the south side of Chicago. Overall, though, I highly recommend it, and he may be winning me over politically (shhhh!)
  • About a Boy, by Nick Hornby. His follow-up to High Fidelity. High Fidelity is one of my all-time favorite books, and About a Boy does a pretty good job as a follow up, but is pretty different in terms of the story. It is funny, though, and, as is usually the case, the book is better than the movie.
  • Feel, by Chris Heath. What started out as an interview with Robbie Williams turned into a book. I am personally enjoying this because I'm a Robbie Williams fan and recognize a lot of the references, but I think it's overall a really transparent tell-all about the music industry and the effects of the paparazzi. Highly recommended.
Well, that's it for now. I told you, it's only been a month. And I bet you don't want to read any reviews of my casebooks. So see? I am smart!

2 comments:

Mal said...

I read The Monster at the End of This Book...it took me a while, but don't give up on it--you won't believe the surprise ending.

Goat said...

Classic read, Mal. My favorite part is using my super-human strength to wreck the brick wall in the middle of the book. Take that, Grover!