Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Be kind, return on time

Does anyone else find that little phrase totally off after the years and years of "Be kind, rewind"? I for one, always rewound my movies. I'm just a good citizen.

As part of my "Enter the 21st century" blitz, I finally joined a mail-order DVD program. I thought long and hard, weighed my options, and passed through many sleepless nights before finally settling on Blockbuster Online. Basically, the only benefit is that you can switch out DVDs in the store, which I think is pretty spiffy.

My inaugural rental is Superman Returns. Seeing as I'm the only person on the planet that hasn't seen it yet, I thought it would be fitting to rent and watch all alone in my living room. I feel ya, Superman.

Overall, I really liked it. Makes me feel like hitting up the Houston Museum of Natural Science. I remember a lot of geodes from elementary school field trips. Lois Lane is kind of a bitch, but I suppose I would be too if my man knocked me up and left for five years. Also, the whole thing looks very CGI-y. Not just the special effects, though. Like, Superman's face. No one has skin that good. And if he does, what is he using, because I need to get me some of that. Also, when did Superman become Titanic?

Next up on my list is another one of those "Movies everyone else has seen but me", The Da Vinci Code. Don't worry, I just added The Science of Sleep to my queue, so I'll be sure to get to some less mainstream fare as well. I think I'll make the Movie of the (Indetermined Amount of Time) Club reviews a regular, so check back for more wisdom.

3 comments:

Goat said...

Wow, talk about a subpar movie to pick as your first. It pretty much just ripped off the original, changed the plot premise, and added a bunch of special effects that weren't very impressive. Okay, so maybe the acting was a little better. And they got a hot Lois Lane this time.

The Da Vinci Code isn't much better. If you've read the book, the movie disappoints. If you haven't read the book, I hear the movie is really confusing and doesn't explain enough.

I would recommend better selections for you, but I haven't seen anything good in a while. Unless you count Beerfest. Man, that was freakin' sweet!

ndNips said...

Just... ya know... posting. To avoid work. Congrats on BB, though watch out: Every BlockBuster I've ever been in (save one in CA and IN) have been shut down in the past 6 months. Yup. Well, carry on.

Lizett! said...

I actually saw Beerfest in the movie theatre. Guess who I saw it with.